“It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.”
• Albert Einstein
BrainBoost Education is looking for an enthusiastic Math and Science tutor, starting January 7th 2019, who is passionate about teaching young people and developing their Math and Science abilities.
You will teach a maximum of 20 sessions per week: Monday to Thursday between 4pm and 8.30pm and Saturday between 10am and 3pm. You will need to have had experience tutoring Math (grades 9-12) and preferably once science (Physics and Chemistry at high school level grades 8-12).
If you are looking for a unique challenge in a values-driven and student-centered learning environment, are available in the afternoon/evening, and need a solid part-time income, this job is perfect for you.
BrainBoost Education promotes, develops and delivers unique learning experiences tailored to students seeking additional learning support, as well as those who may not be accommodated in traditional educational settings. The one-to-one tutoring and ATS (Alternative to School) program provide spaces for students and tutors/teachers to come together and work toward specific learning goals in an inclusive community and in ways that are relevant to the student. BrainBoost designs experiences that challenge, inspire, and match the student’s learning style and personality. We are located on West Broadway near Blenheim in Kitsilano.
We are looking for an individual who has:
• a passion for learning and wants to share this love with others
• experience tutoring Math 9-12
• experience tutoring Physics and/or Chemistry 11/12 is an asset
• knowledge of Science 10 is an asset
• knowledge of BC curriculum
• excitement for teaching and a desire to have a positive impact on a student’s relationship with knowledge
• experience working with high school students
• experience working with students who may experience learning disabilities (considered an asset)
• experience working with students with giftedness (considered an asset)
• ability to be self-reflective
The job entails:
• working one-to-one (and potentially in small groups) with students
• creating/preparing materials to make the curriculum interesting and engaging
• filing reports on the progress of students and tutoring sessions
• seeking and responding to feedback from students and case managers
The job offers:
• joining a passionate community of educators who exhaust every strategy to ensure a successful learning outcome for each student.
• mentoring by staff with experience in educational psychology and practices
• support and guidance as you apply new principles in your work
• opportunities to exchange and discuss ideas with colleagues who engage in ongoing dialogue about education
• $25.50 – $30.00 per tutoring session (one hour teaching and prep time), depending on your education and experience
If this sounds interesting to you, please apply with your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!